Individual childcare

After receiving authorisation from Orne Council, an independent child-minder looks after children in her own home. Parents are free to choose the child-minder they want and actually become employers, taking charge of declarations to the Union de Recouvrement des cotisations de Sécurité Sociale et d'Allocations Familiales (URSSAF)– the social security contributions collection agency. For eight hours’ child-minding, they pay a minimum corresponding to 2 ¼ hours of the legal minimum wage (SMIC) (in addition to compensation for meals, service charges and paid holidays).

A mandatory employment contract

To establish the financial terms and define the child’s routine, an employment contract must be drawn up as soon as the child-minder is hired.

Home-based care is when a child-minder of the parents’ choice looks after the child at the parents’ home. This solution means the child can keep to his usual routine in his own environment. However, in this case there is no formal training requirement for the employee. Parents should therefore get references from previous employers before taking on such a child-minder.