Social support

Accompagnement social lié au logement (ASLL) - social support linked to housing

For people or households suffering cumulative financial and social problems which result in housing issues.

It differs from the support given by the CAF or the MSA Mutualité Sociale Agricole for exceptional problems of rent arrears or difficulties during administrative procedures. Instead, it is a long-term approach to helping households to become financially independent. Its aim is to guarantee a sustainable future for households and to help them towards autonomy.

The support could come in the following ways:

  • access to housing adapted to the needs and finances of the household. A social worker will help the household in its search. This will involve an evaluation of the household’s needs, finances and ability to stay autonomous. Sometimes these situations are urgent (eg. homelessness after a fire or natural event. In this case the ASLL counsellor will help to find a quick solution by working closely with the household, social landlords and the Prefecture)
  • Administrative and financial organisation. The counsellor helps with paperwork connected with the move: signing a lease, inventories, insurance, etc.
  • Help with debts accrued because of housing costs..
  • Help to manage fincances
  • Understanding tenancies. The social worker works with the household so that it understands it obligations vis-à-vis rent, upkeep of the house and communal areas and their relationships with neighbours.
  • Mediation between tenants and landlords.

The Mesure d’accompagnement social personnalisée (MASP) - personalised social aid

Available to people on benefits who are not mentally disabled and who have safety or health issues. 

Its double objective is to :

  • Secure the living conditions of the person, particularly in terms of health, nutrition, hygiene, access to long-term and adequate housing and protection against abuse. In this way, the Council is working on housing issues.
  • Secondly, help the person to become autonomous and integrated into society. This involves a socio-educative programme which helps the person to resolve different social issues. The Council ensures that this programme fits in with other help offered.

The MASP takes two forms:

Voluntary (different degrees of intensity are possible)

In the worst cases, all benefits are managed directly by the Council or by a third-party, with the person’s consent.

Mandatory. This is enforced following a court order and does not involve any personalised help and does not require consent.